Thirty-Year-Old Man Killed by "Brain-Eating" Parasite
Pakistan Observer: 30-Year-Old Pakistani Infected with "Brain-Eating" Amoeba
In the city of Lahore, Pakistan, a 30-year-old man named Mustafa Shafiq died after being infected with the Naegleria fowleri amoeba, according to the Pakistan Observer newspaper, citing health authorities.
Two days ago, the man was taken to the hospital with flu-like symptoms, high fever, and a headache, the publication reports. Mustafa Shafiq passed away on Tuesday.
The local laboratory confirmed the presence of Naegleria fowleri, widely known as the "brain-eating" amoeba, in the material.
According to the newspaper, this is the first reported case of infection with this disease in the city of Lahore. Earlier, three cases of infection were reported in the city of Karachi.
"Naegleria fowleri infects people when water containing the amoeba enters the body through the nose. This usually occurs during swimming, diving, or submerging the head in freshwater, such as lakes and rivers," the statement says.
According to CDC data, 31 cases of similar infections have been registered in the United States in the last ten years. Based on statistics from 1962 to 2021, 154 people were infected, with only four of them surviving.